- FDA approved pyrrolidine derivative which possesses antiepileptic, anxiolytic, and cognitive enhancing properties.
- Inhibits N-type voltage-dependent calcium channels, reduces GABA and glycine mediated inhibition, decreases potassium currents, and synaptic protein binding which alters neurotransmitter release.
- Provides effective seizure control when used as adjunctive therapy in patients with idiopathic generalized epilepsy with myoclonic seizures or GTC seizures.
- Increases responder rates and reduces seizure frequency in adults with treatment-refractory partial seizures with or without secondary generalisation.
- Reduces the occurrence of seizures by
– more than 90% in 65% of the patients at the 3rd month of treatment and
– in 63% of patients at the 12th month of treatment in the pediatric population with epileptic disorders.
- More effective than phenytoin for seizure control for 24 h in children with convulsive status epilepticus.
- Partial Onset Seizures
- Myoclonic Seizures
- Primary Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizures (GTC)