Drug class: Mucolytic agent
- A mucolytic agent that increases bronchial secretion and reduces the viscosity of tenacious sputum and expedites the removal of it by coughing.
- Ambroxol hydrochloride also upturns the clearance of mucociliary secretions.
Drug class: Beta agonist
- Levosalbutamol is a therapeutically active isomer and has all the beta 2 agonist activity.
- Levosalbutamol interacts with B2 adrenoreceptors and has anti-edematous, bronchodilator and bronchoprotective properties and inhibits activation of eosinophils and mast cells.
(Note: Eosinophils are allergic inflammatory sites and mast cells contribute to the airway inflammatory
- Levosalbutamol has approximately 100 and 2 times greater binding affinity for ẞ2 adrenergic receptor than S Salbutamol and racemic salbutamol respectively.”
Drug class – Expectorant
- Guaifenesin is an expectorant which increases the amount of output of bronchial secretions and sputum by reducing the viscosity of the secretions.
- It reduces the surface tension and adhesiveness of sputum.
- It increases the efficacy of cough reflex, ciliary actions and mucociliary removal for accumulated bronchial secretions from the lower and upper airway.
- Combination of Levosalbutamol, Ambroxol Hydrochloride and Guaifenesin was safe as well as efficacious for the treatment of productive cough.