Drug Class: Oral enkephalinase inhibitors
- Racecadotril also known as acetorphan, is a well-tolerated antidiarrheal drug.
- It is an enkephalinase inhibitor with antisecretory and antidiarrheal actions, and is effective & safe for treating acute diarrhea.
- It decreases intestinal hypersecretion and reduces both the severity and duration of diarrhea and the duration of hospitalization
- Exerts antidiarrheal effects by preventing the breakdown of endogenous enkephalins in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Racecadotril resolved the symptoms of acute diarrhea rapidly and effectively and produced a more rapid resolution of abdominal symptoms and less constipation than loperamide.
- Acute diarrhea
- Traveller’s diarrhea