Drug class: Pyridones
- Pirfenidone is an orally administered, excellent antifibrotic agent and anti-inflammatory agent, that diminishes accumulated inflammatory cells and cytokines in the lungs.
- Beneficial in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, progressive fibrotic interstitial lung diseases (ILDs), fibrotic non-specific interstitial pneumonia, and chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
- It is an effective inhibitor of fibroblast, myometrial, and leiomyoma cell proliferation.
- Demonstrates reduced lung function decline decreases mortality and improves progression-free survival.
- Modulates fibrogenic growth factors, myofibroblast differentiation, collagen and fibronectin synthesis, and deposition of extracellular matrix.
- Possess a well-characterized long-term safety and tolerability profile.
- Inhibit apoptosis, downregulate ACE receptors expression, decrease inflammation by several mechanisms and ameliorates oxidative stress and hence protect pneumocytes.