Drug Class: Proton Pump Inhibitors
- Pantoprazole represents a safe and effective drug for increasing pH and for the treatment of gastric ulcers.
- Pantoprazole may be the better choice of treatment than esomeprazole in terms of its potential to maintain night-time symptoms of erosive GORD.
Drug Class: Anti-emetics
- In dyspeptic symptoms and gastroparesis, domperidone is superior to cisapride in reversing gastric emptying delay and gastric abnormalities.
- Domperidone is a unique gastrokinetic and antiemetic drug and appears to be an attractive alternative to metoclopramide.
- Pantoprazole and Domperidone combination is increasingly being used in India as a combination by medical practitioners for severe and resistant GERD.
- The drug combination has achieved high endoscopic esophageal healing rates, with 72.34% of patients completely cured while 20.21% of patients had partial healing.
- This is an effective combination acting on multiple pathophysiological mechanisms of the disease with high symptom improvement rates with adequate safety in cases of GERD.