Drug Class: Lipase inhibitor
- Orlistat is a gastrointestinal lipase inhibitor that reduces dietary fat absorption to promote weight loss and, reduce cardiovascular risk factors.
- It induces i) body weight change and ii) changes in blood pressure and serum lipid, glucose, and insulin levels.
- Orlistat with combined lifestyle intervention is associated with a reduced occurrence of type 2 diabetes.
- Attenuates coronary heart disease risk factors in obese persons.
- Orlistat plus diet (for a 2-year period), significantly promotes weight loss, lessens weight regain, and improves some obesity-related disease risk factors.
- Obesity management including weight loss and weight maintenance when used in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet.