Drug class: Neuraminidase inhibitors
- A potent and selective inhibitor of the neuraminidase glycoprotein essential for replication of influenza A and B viruses.
- Well tolerated orally active neuraminidase inhibitor.
- Represents a useful therapeutic alternative to,
- Zanamivir (especially in patients who prefer oral administration or who have an underlying respiratory disorder) and
- The M2 inhibitors amantadine and rimantadine (because of their broader spectrum of anti-influenza activity and a lower likelihood of resistance) in patients with influenza.
- Ideal treatment for immunocompromised patients, to prevent secondary complications.