- NEXEF-0: Ceftriaxone 1000 mg
- NEXEF-0-250: Ceftriaxone 250 mg
- NEXEF-0-500: Ceftriaxone 500 mg
Ceftriaxone (cephalosporin antibiotics)
- Ceftriaxone is a ‘third generation’ semisynthetic cephalosporin with a long half-life which has resulted in a recommended once daily administration schedule.
- It is administered intravenously or intramuscularly and has a broad spectrum of activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative aerobic, and some anaerobic, bacteria.
- The activity of ceftriaxone is generally greater than that of the ‘first’ and ‘second generation’ cephalosporins against Gram-negative bacteria, but less than that of the earlier generations of cephalosporins against many Gram-positive bacteria.
- As a result of its strong activity against S. pneumoniae, ceftriaxone holds an important place, either alone or as part of a combination regimen, in the treatment of invasive pneumococcal infections, including those with reduced beta-lactam susceptibility.