Drug class: Cephalosporin antibiotics
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is a semi-synthetic, oral third generation cephalosporin with a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity.
- The drug has in vitro activity against many common Gram-positive and Gram-negative pathogens associated with common paediatric infections, (GI tract disturbances and skin rashes).
- Well tolerated and demonstrates good bacteriological and clinical efficacy in paediatric patients, with adverse events that are consistent with those reported for other oral cephalosporins.
- The drug is available for use as a prodrug-Cefpodoxime proxetil, which is absorbed readily from the gut.
- It reaches adequate levels exceeding the Minimal Inhibitory Concentration in most of the body fluids.
- It is excreted by kidneys, unchanged. The dose needs adjustment in compromised renal function.