Drug Class: Xanthine oxidase inhibitors
- A urate lowering drug, an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase that achieves its therapeutic effect by decreasing serum uric acid.
- A non-purine selective inhibitor of xanthine oxidase that works by non-competitively blocking the molybdenum pterin center which is the active site on xanthine oxidase.
- Seems to be a promising therapeutic drug for gout or hyperuricemia, even in patients with renal dysfunction. 1
- A highly efficacious urate-lowering therapy in patients with gout regardless of overproduction or underexcretion status.
- An option for the management of chronic hyperuricemia in gout only for people who are intolerant to allopurinol or for whom allopurinol is contraindicated.