COMPOSITION: Doxycycline 100 mg + 60 million spores lactic acid
Drug Class: Tetracycline antibiotics
- A member of the tetracycline class of antibiotics is a well-tolerated drug that is bacteriostatic and acts via the inhibition of bacterial ribosomes.1
- Doxycycline penetrates more readily into bacterial cells compared with other tetracyclines.
- Doxycycline is metabolized in the liver and gastrointestinal tract through an unknown mechanism and is eliminated via both biliary secretion and glomerular filtration in the kidney.
Broad spectrum Antibiotic & Clinically useful Anti-inflammatory agent
- Doxycycline displays excellent activity against gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic and anaerobic pathogens.
- Doxycycline can selectively eradicate Cancer stem cells in breast cancer patients in vivo.
- Doxytrac, with its low rate of GI symptoms, is a more tolerable treatment option for acne and is associated with a better likelihood of compliance.
- Doxycycline decreases the systemic inflammatory burden in patients with myocardial infarction.
Combination – Doxycycline + Lactic acid spores
- Lactobacilli counts in the gut were decreased in the doxycycline alone group in treating complicated periodontitis and Lactobacilli counts had tended to increase and in the group with a combination of the probiotic with doxycycline.
- These antibiotics can lead to the emergence of drug resistant micro-organisms and they can also disturb the beneficial microflora of the body.
- Probiotics (like lactic acid spores) can be used, as they repopulate the beneficial microflora and reduce the pathogenic bacteria.
- Study says treatment with probiotics could be an ideal alternative in the management of aggressive periodontitis.
Note: Lactobacillus is a valuable weapon in our gut armory.