- A chemical compound involved in the synthesis of cell membranes.
- Depending on its application, can be considered both as a dietary supplement and as a medicine.
- Proven to be a useful compound in preventing dementia progression.
- It also enhances cognitive functions among healthy individuals and improves prognosis after stroke.
- A promising drug in reducing neuropathic pain and accelerating nerve regeneration.
- A derivative of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
- Has a variety of physiological effects that may result, at least in part, from the restoration of cell membrane fluidity.
- At a neuronal level, piracetam modulates neurotransmission in a range of transmitter systems, has neuroprotective and anticonvulsant properties, and improves neuroplasticity.
- At a vascular level, it appears to reduce erythrocyte adhesion to vascular endothelium, hinder vasospasm, and facilitate microcirculation.