Hypertension is directly responsible for 57% of all stroke deaths and 24% of all coronary heart disease (CHD) deaths in India. The WHO rates HTN as one of the most important causes of premature death worldwide. It is the most prevalent form of heart disease.
- Class of medication: Calcium channel blockers (heterogeneous group of medications)
- Amlodipine is an oral dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker. Initially approved in 1987 by the FDA.
- Amlodipine works by blocking the voltage-dependent L-type calcium channels, thereby inhibiting the initial influx of calcium.
- Amlodipine has been shown to improve vascular endothelial function in hypertensive patients.
- Amlodipine has good efficacy and safety, in addition to strong evidence from large randomized controlled trials for cardiovascular event reduction.
Amlodipine 5 mg